Streaks on your windshield can be a real nuisance that impairs visibility. That’s why in today’s blog, we offer some simple tips to avoid a streaky windshield.
How to Avoid a Streaky Windshield
There are many reasons why your windshield is streaky. One of the most common reasons is when you clean your car under the sun, which causes the cleaner to evaporate too quickly, leaving a residue on the glass.
Streaks can also occur if the water of the place where you leave contains a lot of minerals (also known as “heavy” water). So when the water dries, the minerals stay on the glass, forming streaks.
Here are some easy tips to avoid driving with a streaky windshield. Most of them require only a little foresight and none of the materials cost more than a few dollars. Anyone can have a spotless windshield!
- Use distilled water to clean your windshield. Distilled water doesn’t contain minerals like calcium or magnesium, which are some of the most common culprits of streaking.
- Avoid soap. Using soap to clean your windshield is a recipe for streaky glass. Use a product specially formulated for glass or a mix of distilled water and alcohol.
- Wash your car in the shade. This is a good rule of thumb and a simple way to protect the entire body of your car, not only your windshield.
- Avoid paper towels. Paper towels often leave streaks behind and can potentially cause superficial scratches if the paper is too coarse. Use instead a microfiber cloth to clean your windshield.
- Steer clear of products that contain ammonia. Ammonia is a common component of some household cleaning solutions for glass. However, in addition to leaving noticeable streaks, ammonia releases toxic fumes which can accumulate in an enclosed space (such a garage), posing a risk to your health.
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint: The Best in Southern California
Need to repair or replace your windshield? At Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc., we are a family-owned business specialized i collision repair, windshield care, and custom paint.
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about our full range of services.