Driving with foggy headlights can be a real nuisance, particularly during the winter months. Here’s how to restore foggy headlights to their original condition.
How to Clean Foggy Headlights
Let’s begin by understanding why headlights get foggy in the first place.
Today’s headlights are made of polycarbonate plastic, which is more scratch-resistant than the material used for older models.
However, the downside of polycarbonate plastic is that its outer layers tend to degrade over time after being exposed to UV rays and debris from the road.
That outer, degraded layer is what causes your headlights to appear fogged up. The solution is to scrub it away.
To do this, you’ll need a slightly abrasive material like toothpaste, although you can also find headlight restoration products on the market.
If you buy a headlight restorer, follow the instructions on the label. If you decide to use toothpaste, here’s what you need to do:
- First, clean the surface of the headlights with a mild solution of water and soap and wipe the surface with a microfiber towel.
- Then, apply a coat of toothpaste on the surface of your headlight lenses and let it rest for a few minutes.
- When the coat of toothpaste is slightly dry, remove it with a brush using circular motions. When you’re done, wipe the lenses to remove any residue.
After following these steps, your headlights should be clean and offer better visibility. If the fogginess is still there after cleaning them, you should consider replacing them.
More Car Detailing Tips and Ideas
Keep your vehicle in mint condition with these posts that cover every aspect of the care and maintenance of your car.
- 3 Car care tips for pet owners
- How to extend the life of your car’s paint
- 7 Must-have cleaning supplies to keep in your car
- How to remove stickers from auto glass
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business that specializes in collision repair and custom paint. We work with all major insurance companies!
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about our full range of services.