Mold in the interior of your car can be an outright unpleasant experience. Luckily, dealing with this problem is relatively easy and inexpensive. Here’s what you need to do.
How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Car
Before we get to how to get rid of mold in your car, let’s take a closer look at this common problem so you can understand what you are dealing with.
Mold is a type of fungus that may form in your car under a variety of circumstances, although the cause is almost always a combination of moisture and high temperatures. In some cases, mold can affect your health and that of your passengers, so it’s important to deal with it swiftly as soon as you notice it.
Now, here’s how to get rid of mold in your car in seven simple steps:
- First, make sure to wear a mask, as well as gloves and eye protection to reduce your exposure to mold.
- While parking your car in the shade is the right thing to do when you wash your ride, when it comes to mold you want to do the opposite. The sun kills fungi, so park in a sunny spot and open the doors to let some air in.
- Vacuum the interior of your car thoroughly and if you suspect that the cause of the mold is a water leak, identify the source and repair it, otherwise, the mold will form again.
- Fill a spray bottle with a combination of four parts white vinegar and one part water.
- Spray this solution directly onto the carpets of your car and any other surface where there is mold. For plastics and painted surfaces, apply the solution on a hidden spot first to ensure that the color won’t be affected.
- Use a brush to work the solution into the area. Let sit for at least 20 minutes and apply more if needed.
- If possible, park in a safe place (such as a garage or carport) and leave the windows down to air your car.
More Car Detailing Tips and Resources
Keep your vehicle in mint condition with these posts that cover every aspect of the care and maintenance of your car.
- 4 Classic car maintenance tips
- How to clean your car rims
- 4 Tips to avoid distracted driving
- How to prevent and repair hail damage
- 6 Tips for driving safely when it rains
- 4 Basic Windshield Maintenance Tips
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business that specializes in collision repair and custom paint. We work with all major insurance companies!
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to get information about our services: Collision repair, custom paint, windshield replacement, rim repair, paintless dent removal, auto detail, complete paint jobs and more!