The soot and ash produced by wildfires can cause damage to many types of property, including your vehicle. With this in mind, today we bring you some tips to help you be proactive when it comes to protecting your car from wildfire ash damage.
Can Wildfire Ash Damage My Car?
The short, simple answer is yes, wildfire ash can wreak serious damage to your car’s paint.
This is a scientifically proven fact: Wildfire ash contains chemicals like calcium and potassium, which become corrosive in their wet form.
The bottom line is that if wildfire ash comes in contact with your car and gets moist (which can easily happen on a dewy night), it can wreak serious damage on your vehicle’s paint.
How to Protect Your Car From Wildfire Ash
Damage to automotive paint caused by wildfire ash is becoming increasingly common. Below we show you how to protect your ride and what to do should your vehicle’s paint come in contact with ash.
- Cover your car. As we have mentioned in previous posts, keeping your car away from pollutants is the best way to protect it. Park your car in a garage or carport. Alternatively, consider investing in a car cover.
- Wax your car. Wax adds a layer of protection to the surface of your car, which can help minimize the effects of wildfire ash.
- Don’t wipe the ash off. If ash falls on your car, don’t wipe it off, as this may scratch the paint. Instead, wash your car with a pH-balanced car wash soap. If you don’t have time for a thorough wash, at least hose the ash off and make sure to get rid of everything.
- Keep your windows and sunroof shut. Wildfire ash can also damage the interior of your car, so keep your windows up and the sunroof fully closed when your vehicle is not in use.
- You may need to change your AC filter. Finally, it’s worth keeping in mind that wildfire smoke and ash can also affect other less visible components of your vehicle. If you have to drive through wildfire smoke, check your car’s AC filter afterwards and change it if necessary.
If you’d like to know more about how to protect your car or about how to repair the damage caused by wildfire ash, contact our pros at Inland Empire Autobody and Paint. They’ll fill you in on the best ways to keep your ride in mint condition.
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint: Windshield Repair & Auto Detailing in Southern California
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business specialized in collision repair and custom paint.
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about our full range of services.