Splattered bugs on your car’s body are a common occurrence, particularly during long summer drives. Here’s how to handle this threat to your vehicle’s paint.
Why It’s Important to Remove Bugs
When it comes to bugs splattered on your car’s paint, you should take action as soon as possible. Bugs are highly acidic, which means that they can easily damage your car’s paint. Additionally, heat and dust may cause the bugs to cake onto the surface of your car, causing further damage that may be costly to repair.
How to Clean Bugs Off Your Car’s Body
- Wash your car following the tips we have shared in previous blogs (wash your car from top to bottom, use at least two buckets, and use separate utensils for the body and tires).
- To clean the bugs that remain on the body after washing your, spot clean those areas with the detergent or soap you use to clean your car. Then rinse and dry with a microfiber towel.
- The previous two steps should take care of most stains. For stains that are particularly stubborn, use bug remover. Note that you should make sure to read the label’s product before applying it to ensure that it’s safe to use on your car.
How to Clean Bugs Off Your Windshield
As one of the areas most exposed to the elements, your windshield is particularly prone to bug stains. Here’s how to clean that mess:
- Spray the windshield with warm water or vinegar and let it sit for a while.
- Once the stains have softened, apply a window cleaning product.
- Wipe the glass with a microfiber cloth until clean.
More Tips and Ideas
Keep your vehicle in mint condition with these posts that cover every aspect of the care and maintenance of your car.
- Can fireworks damage your car’s paint?
- How to protect your car’s paint during summer
- How to clean your car’s dashboard
- What is collision insurance?
- A basic auto detailing glossary
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business that specializes in collision repair and custom paint. We work with all major insurance companies!
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to get information about our services: Collision repair, custom paint, windshield replacement, rim repair, paintless dent removal, auto detail, complete paint jobs and more!