Protecting your car goes beyond washing and waxing. Collision insurance, for example, helps pay or repair your car after an accident that involves another vehicle. Keep reading to learn more.
What Is Collision Insurance?
As its name implies, collision insurance is an insurance policy that helps pay or repair your car should you suffer an accident that involves another vehicle.
On the other hand, comprehensive insurance covers other types of damage, such as fire or vandalism—that’s why it’s often called “other than collision coverage.” While this article focuses on collision insurance, the smart move is to have both collision and comprehensive insurance.
Collision Insurance: What You Need to Know
Here are some ideas and guidelines to keep in mind as you shop for collision coverage.
- A collision policy usually covers incidents such as collisions with another vehicle, collisions with another object, and single rollover accidents.
- Collision insurance is usually required if you are leasing or financing a vehicle.
- Collision insurance usually does NOT cover damage to other vehicles and medical bills, be it yours or anyone else’s.
- As with other types of insurance, choosing a high deductible (the amount you pay before your insurance company covers the damage) is a common way to keep your insurance rates low. However, be careful: choosing a deductible that’s too high may result in amounts that you may not be able to pay out of pocket.
More Tips and Ideas
Keep your vehicle in mint condition with these posts that cover every aspect of the care and maintenance of your car.
- A basic auto detailing glossary
- 4 Classic car maintenance tips
- How to clean your car rims
- 4 Tips to avoid distracted driving
- How to prevent and repair hail damage
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business that specializes in collision repair and custom paint. We work with all major insurance companies!
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to get information about our services: Collision repair, custom paint, windshield replacement, rim repair, paintless dent removal, auto detail, complete paint jobs and more!