Despite what its name suggests, your windshield does a lot more than just offer cover from the wind: it protects you and other passengers from all types of elements and contributes to the structural integrity of your vehicle. That’s why knowing when to replace it is such an important part of car ownership.
When Should I Replace My Windshield?
With the above information in mind, it’s easy to see why you should make it a point to replace a windshield that has been damaged beyond repair. Here are some pointers to help you make that decision:
- If your windshield is damaged to the point that it impairs your visibility, then that’s an easy decision: it must be replaced. Impaired visibility endangers you and others unnecessarily, and can have fatal consequences.
- Another scenario that calls for replacement is when the damage affects the inner layer of the glass. Superficial damage can often be replaced, but deeper cracks may compromise the integrity of the windshield.
- You should also replace your windshield when the crack is near or extends to the outer edge of the glass, keep in mind that your windshield is cut and installed in a way that keeps it perfectly still. A crack or chip near or on the edges may compromise the fit, causing the glass to vibrate.
- The length of the crack also plays a role in determining whether you should replace your windshield. Some use the “dollar bill test,” which says that any crack longer than a dollar bill calls for replacement. While this may work as a general reference, the truth is that some cracks call for replacement even when they are smaller than a dollar bill.
When in doubt, a dependable windshield replace company like Inland Empire Autobody and Paint can help you determine whether your windshield can be repaired satisfactorily, or needs to be replaced.
More Tips and Ideas
Keep your vehicle in mint condition with these posts that cover every aspect of the care and maintenance of your car.
- 7 Must-have cleaning supplies to keep in your car
- How to remove stickers from auto glass
- Can fireworks damage your car’s paint?
- How to protect your car’s paint during summer
- How to clean your car’s dashboard
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc. is a family-owned business that specializes in collision repair and custom paint. We work with all major insurance companies!
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350), contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about our full range of services.