In some cases, even if your vehicle’s paint looks smooth, it may feel rough when you run your hand over it. Today, we talk about why this happens and what to do about it.
Why Does My Car’s Paint Feel Rough?
Believe it or not, even owners of new cars are familiar with this problem.
You take a proud look at your ride, marvel at how good it looks, and then proceed to run your hand over the body of your vehicle, only to discover that the paint feels rough instead of smooth and slick.
Why does this happen?
No doubt, the experience related above is unpleasant for any true car enthusiast. The good news is that both the cause and the solution are extremely simple.
If your car’s paint looks good but feels rough, the most likely reason is that there are pollutants such as particles of dust, dirt, and brake dust attached to the surface of your car.
That’s why the paint feels a little bumpy and irregular even if the appearance is glossy.
To solve this problem, all you’ll need is a clay bar and some good old elbow grease.
First off, wash your car thoroughly and carefully (make sure to follow this tips). Then let it dry and glide the clay bar across the surface of your vehicle until those stubborn pollutants are gone.
Here are some tips to use the clay bar on your car:
- After removing the clay bar from its package, divide it into halves or quarters.
- Before using each piece of the clay bar, shape it into an oval pad that fits into your thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers.
- Spray clay bar lubricant on the oval pad you formed and on the area of the car you are going to work on. Work on one small area at a time.
- Glide the clay across the section of the car you’ve chosen until the pollutants are gone.
- Wipe any residue of lubricant using a microfiber towel.
- Repeat steps 3 through five on all areas of the vehicle until the entire surface feels smooth.
Inland Empire Autobody & Paint: The Best in Southern California
Looking to repair your car’s paint? At Inland Empire Autobody & Paint Inc., we are a family-owned business specializing in collision repair, windshield care, and custom paint.
We have locations in Riverside and Moreno Valley, California. Call us (951-465-7350). Contact us through our website or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about our full range of services.